Monday, December 11, 2006

I'm healed!

The doctor said so. I should be back in contacts by Wednesday. I almost laughed out loud when he announced after looking at my eyeball: "You're healed!". In my mind, I pictured him tapping my forehead in Benny Hinn style. Instead I just chuckled, but I'm not sure that he understood the humor of the situation, and I didn't feel that would be the best way to bring up a discussion of what I believe and the finer points of disagreement among Christians.

On a much more important topic, here are some further thoughts from people much more articulate than myself about the advent season.

"He was created of a mother whom He created. He was carried by hands that He formed. He cried in the manger in wordless infancy, He the Word, without whom all human eloquence is mute."
-Augustine

"In the sixth month, God sent the angel Gabriel to Nazareth, a town in Galilee, to a virgin pledged to be married to a man named Joseph, a descendant of David. The virgin's name was Mary."
-Luke 2:26-27

"O Come, O Come, Emmanuel
And ransom captive Israel
That mourns in lonely exile here
Until the Son of God appears

O come, thou rod of Jesse, free
Thine own from Satan's tyranny
From depths of of hell thy people save
And give them vict'ry o'er the grave

O come, O Dayspring, come and cheer
Our spirits by thine advent here
And drive away the shaves of night
And pierce the clouds and bring us light."
-Rev. Isaac Watts

No comments: